Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles
available from Wikipedia or other free sources online. During 1909-1922
the London and North Western Railway embarked on a project to electrify
their London inner-suburban network, encompassing the lines from London
Euston to Watford and the North London Railway from London Broad Street
to Richmond, including branch lines such as Watford to Croxley Green,
and links to what was to become the London Underground network. For this
reason, the lines were electrified at 630 V DC fourth rail, the
electricity being generated at the LNWR's power station in Stonebridge
Park. The first electric passenger trains ran in 1914, on the West
London Line route, but full services over the whole network did not
commence until 1922, work having been delayed by the First World War.
The London, Midland and Scottish Railway extended the network in 1927,
by electrifying the branch to Rickmansworth. The LNWR placed orders for
three-car electric multiple units from Metropolitan-Cammell in
Birmingham. These units were formed Driving Motor Brake Third + Trailer
Composite + Driving Trailer Brake Third. All the cars were open saloons
and the electrical equipment was in a compartment behind the driving cab
in the DMBT.